Please note that the group meetings are presently full, please call for place availability.
We are the Brent Mencap Disability, Rights and Politics (DRAP) group.
We campaign for a safe, equal and accessible borough.
We have some concerns and questions to share with the local election candidates.
- How much of Brent’s housing is affordable?
- There should be no street homelessness.
- People with learning disabilities and older people should have homes in central locations so they can access local amenities.
- Homes should be adapted for disabled people.
- Housing standards in council homes should be improved.
- We are concerned about unsafe cladding on buildings since the Grenfell Tower fire.
- In England, young people with a learning disability are 3 times more likely to not be in education, employment and training than other young people.
- What education is offered to children with special educational needs in Brent?
- What training and education opportunities are available to adults with learning disabilities?
- How could education be improved in the borough?
- Only 1/3 of Tube stations in London have step-free access. We would like the council to work with TFL to ensure there is lift access in all Brent stations.
- We want more accessible information about local bus routes, timetables and changes to services.
- There should be more travel training for people with learning disabilities.
- Do disabled children have full access to local transport, e.g. through community buses?
CRIME AND SAFETY
- Could the borough do more to tackle Disability Hate Crime?
- We believe that Brent should launch a Safe Places Scheme for people with learning disabilities.
- We are concerned about women’s safety and about discrimination based on race.
There is a lot of fly-tipping and dangerous driving. Our neighbourhoods should be clean and safe.
- Most of us don’t feel able to go out at night. We want more street lights.
This group were worried about cuts to their services and benefits. We support them to find out how to speak up about their worries.
- Learn to speak up
- Learn to fight for your rights
- Be stronger together
- Find out who makes decisions about your support and benefits
- Find out how they make the decisions
- Find out what you can do about it
Every Wednesday 11:30 – 13.30pm at Brent Mencap, 379 – 381 High Road, Willesden NW10 2JR
For more information please contact the office on 020 8451 5278 (on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday)